Dear Mom, Dad, Family and Friends,
Thanks for the package!!! I got it Saturday! Elder
Birch and I have been going through all the CD’S… lol We have been starving for
something new to listen to!
Wow that sounds like a great time at the Albuquerque
Temple... =) I wished I had gone a ton more times before I
left…when I get back I want to go to Utah and go through the Salt
Lake Temple and then do some Temple hopping !!!... hahaha
We went to the Columbus Ohio temple last Tuesday; it
was an awesome experience.... I received an answer there that has helped a
lot!
I can honestly say anything that I have prayed for
with real intent and asked focusing on following whatever the answer was, yes
or no, my prayers have been answered!
Like Dad said, focusing on a couple, I think really is
a secret as long as it's not overly to much or just something to pass the
time.... I have noticed that a lot of Missionaries are finding new
investigators like crazy but aren't getting any closer to baptism....
where Elder Birch and I have built strong connections with our progressing
investigators.
Elder Birch with some investigators!
Our area is starting to pick back up and things seem to be moving again… =) Our main investigator, the part member family, she has been progressing.
This past week was a week of miracles!
We have been teaching the wife, of our part member family …. (I’ll just call her Becky and his name I will say Bobby).
This is the story before I got there...
Bobby was a less active of 15 years... nobody knew he
was living in our Branch area. Bobby was working for a member, a recent convert
of only a year. Elder Birch and his companion were talking to the
member, Travis, about The Book of Mormon and Travis then turned to Bobby and
said something like “these Elders are Missionaries from my church and they are
talking about a book we use…The Book of Mormon". Bobby’s reply was “yeah,
I know, I'm a member too". Then pulls out a cigarette and walks off.
Well Elder Birch and Elder Evans went over to Bobby’s
house and introduced themselves. Bobby’s wife is southern Baptist and she and
Travis are having marriage problems. When Bobby was talking to the Elders
and about Jesus Christ and the gospel, it apparently amazed Becky because she
had never…for the 7 years they were married…heard her husband talk about church
or God or anything like that before. It was a whole new side to him that she
had never seen.
When the Elders left they talked for a good long time
about the gospel and what they both believed and they did it without fighting
and really having a good time together...which they haven't had for a long
time. Because of that Becky wanted to meet with Elder Birch and Evans again to
hear more about what her husband believed. It somehow brought out a man that
she had never known and someone that she really liked!
Now this where I come in…
Elder Birch and his companion set up an appointment
with Becky for the next week. That week transfers happened and I
was moved here to Lawrenceburg Indiana. We have taught her the 1st
lesson.... Becky has been a great joy to get to know as well as Bobby and their
children!
Becky had a hard time with the Plan of Salvation
because it seemed to have changed her idea of heaven... mainly because her
sister died at the age of 3 and her Grandma passed away a year ago. She had a
hard time believing that her Grandma wasn't already in Heaven and that she was
in this place called The Spirit World. As we have been meeting with her she has
been slowly accepting the lessons.
Three weeks ago she came to church for the second
time. The first time with her husband Bobby, during that Sunday as she
was listening to one of the talks by the Relief Society President, she had a
spiritual experience!
Becky has had a problem with excepting the Book of
Mormon, but when she saw another mom, a "Normal lady" share her
testimony of the Book of Mormon, and how it has been helping her raise her
children…it hit Becky… as well as a scripture the Relief Society President
shared.
Alma 32:27
"But behold, if ye will awake and arouse your
faculties, even to an experiment upon my words, and exercise a particle of
faith, yea, even if ye can no more than adesire to believe, let this desire
work in you, even until ye believe in a manner that ye can give place for a
portion of my words."
This scripture helped her see that she can accept The Book of Mormon and that it can help teach her. Since then she has been reading on her own as well as scriptures we send to her!
Bobby and Becky have been going up and down in their
relationship but whenever they apply the gospel and what we ask them to do they
grow a lot closer together!
The week after the breakthrough with Becky it seemed
like Satan was really working on their family. It seemed like they were going
to be crushed by his “fiery darts”... Everything came tumbling down… work...
rent... fighting with each other.... but we kept encouraging them.
Finally last Saturday they were told by their land
lord they were going to be evicted... if they didn't come up with enough money.
Becky was having the hardest time and the stress on their marriage was
heavy too. We suggested to them that they should meet with our Branch President
and seeing if he could help them out. They declined several times but
finally decided after asking all their family and friends for help that they
couldn't do anything more.
So we set up an appointment for them right after
Sacrament Meeting. Becky was also scared that her kids would be bored at church
and that it was to “old style” for them.... so she had never brought them to
church. Because our Branch President needed to meet with both of them and they
couldn't find a babysitter for the little girl, (the boy was with his Dad) so
they had to bring her to church with them.
It was Fast and Testimony meeting when a miracle
happened for Becky and Bobby.
Becky heard a testimony from a lady in the Branch who
had lost her twin sister, and she shared how the gospel had helped her overcome
that pain, as well as one of their best friends Travis, the man who was Bobby’s
boss, went up and shared his testimony. The real first time that Travis
had ever borne his testimony.... the Spirit was so powerful.... that Becky was
touched deeply by the Spirit!
After sacrament meeting one of the Primary Leaders
came and started talking to Becky’s daughter and made quick friends with her
and the daughter agreed to go to Primary while Becky and Bobby met with the
Branch President. After their meeting Becky shared with us what happened...
Apparently Bobby was feeling the Spirit strongly and when they sat down to talk
to the president he shared his testimony for the first time with his wife!...
=)
Now Becky wants to know what her baptismal questions
are!... =)
Becky still isn't quite ready to accept a date but we
challenged the family to work towards getting Bobby ready to baptize her! I am
getting so excited for this family who I have been growing so close to… =) I
pray that she and their family can overcome the adversary and continue to the
path of an eternal family!
Oh… and the daughter loved primary!!! So now there aren’t any objections if her kids will like it or not… =)
The Lord does so many little and big things for reasons we probably will never know… but all for us!
Oh… and now we can bring members to lessons!!! She wouldn't let us until last week… =) so now we can get things moving!
I love all of you!
Elder Henke
No comments:
Post a Comment